An enterprise architect with design and product experience, I design solutions and build tools to code better and faster. Outside work, I love barefoot running and rock climbing.
EnterJS Conference, Darmstadt, Germany, 21 June 2018
Landing Festival - Future of Tech and Careers, Berlin, Germany, 15 March 2018
Frontend Conference, Munich, Germany, 9 December 2017
RubySauna, Helsinki, Finland, 8 October 2015
REFRESH, Tallinn, Estonia, September 2015
Frontend Conference Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland, August 2014
FFWD.PRO, Zagreb, Croatia, June 2012
Frontend Conference Zürich, Zurich, Switzerland, August 2011
Allianz Deutschland AG, 05/2017 - present
- Currently focusing on developing a cloud storage concept for objects with security and bringing together stakeholders to consolidate use-cases and effort, as well as supporting the IT-stability task force to increase the resilience of our overall application portfolio.
- Co-authored AMQP messaging concept to satisfy security and cloud operations requirements, leveraging naming conventions for instant secure access without manual registry of authorizations matrices.
- Open-sourced mini version of AZD-Cloud Stack with containerized components incl. custom Jenkins server for CI/CD demos and external presentations.
- Founded “Allianz Overflow” for internal developer questions about software and architecture.
- Coached over 100 developers in the Agile Training Center (ATC), driving change in company IT and developer culture.
- Mentored ATC developer teams, helping them to migrate applications to new in-house cloud infrastructure and implementing DevOps. This meant pair programming with developer teams to develop git workflows that correlate with their business processes, software architecture and git skills, but also automatically trigger continuous integration and delivery via GitHub Enterprise.
metafinanz - Informationssysteme GmbH, 06/2016 - 04/2017
- Consulted for parent company Allianz SE.
- Worked on the next generation of Allianz internal software and products.
Full Stack Developer, Responsive Email Consultant
Freelance, 09/2014 - 05/2016
- Coded responsive HTML E-Mail layouts that work across all major email clients including Outlook, Gmail on Android and more.
- Created ruby based E-Mail Build system for clients to manage multiple templates while leveraging shared code with templates and YAML data. This system is distributed as a private ruby gem.
- Consulted on E-Mail Design and responsive layout strategies.
- Consulted on E-Mail as part of holistic User Experience Design.
- Optimized every email developer’s workflow the Email Layout Calculator.
- Designed and developed full-stack applications with Rails, specializing in individually tailored solutions, for example educational online discussion software and a CMS with custom Google Maps functionality.
Offsides UG, 01/2014 - 12/2017
- Founded software company Offsides UG to develop own Software as a Service (SaaS) product, which failed.
- Designed and developed Antwort E-Mail Signature Generator instead.
Freelance, 01/2013 - 09/2014
- Targeted clients and startups with existing websites but poor UX, who need something in between a freelance designer and full service agency.
- Combined responsive HTML/CSS solutions packaged with design and UX experience for pragmatic, immediate and actionable recommendations.
- Overhauled frontend architectures to use modern best practices, especially responsive design and Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS.
- Conducted Information Architecture analysis and content strategy consulting.
- Helped companies migrate their websites to a responsive solution using their existing software architecture, including Symfony, TYPO3 or Ruby on Rails.
Refresh Munich e.V., 11/2012 - present
- Refresh Munich is a community for designers and developers and a registered non-profit association.
- Organizing monthly meetups and quarterly events with other members.
- Co-organized 2013 and 2015 UX Munich Conference.
InterNations, 02/2012 - 02/2013
- First dedicated Frontend Developer at the established and growing global platform for expats.
- Developed frontend HTML and CSS architecture for the Activity version 1.0 feature launch, including comments, calendars, and photo gallery modules over several months.
- Introduced Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS to team, untangling deep CSS specificity and reducing style dependencies for greater scalability.
- Collaborated closely with the product designer and product manager to create and improve products within the agile budget and two week release cycle.
- Overhauled existing marketing and transactional Emails to be responsive, simultaneously releasing the Antwort Open Source template with support from the company.
- Worked closely with 5 backend developers directly in the Symfony app, participating in daily stand ups, planning poker, and scrum meetings.
Sr. User Interaction Designer
Ancestry.com Deutschland GmbH, Munich, 07/2008 – 12/2011
- Researched, analyzed, designed and created projects to improve German user flow to drive higher signup conversion, including homepages, deny pages, E-Mail core flows.
- Planned, designed and created landing pages, newsletters, emails, microsites and more to support marketing campaigns and user acquisition goals.
Web Designer and Content Engineer
Learntoquestion.com, Boston, MA, 06/2000 – 06/2017
- Responsible for installation, modification and maintenance of various open-source software that power the website from discussion board software to content management systems.
- Lead designer of the Summer 2007 design refresh, updating the design with cleaner more minimal designs and splashes of color.
- Designed and developed Rails based discussion board software in 2015 to meet specific needs of an online classroom, e.g. deadlines and mobile support for low-income students using smartphones.
English Language Teaching Assistant
Fulbright Commission, Munich, Germany, 09/2007 – 06/2008
- Taught own 11th grade weekly conversational English class.
- Presented American culture, history and politics to German students.
- Aided teachers in the classroom with group work, especially in younger classes.
artelino GmbH, Icking, Germany, 10/2007 – 03/2008
- Translated articles about contemporary Asian art and artists from German into English.
Hong Kong Cafe, Danvers, MA, 09/2003 – 08/2007
- Handled customer complaints and concerns respectfully and professionally.
- As the 2006 New Year’s Eve Floor Manager, facilitated and organized the process of receiving, fulfillment, and delivery of $10,000+ worth of Chinese food in 6 hours.
- Helped improve 2006 New Year’s Eve average wait time during peak dinner hours from over 90 minutes in 2005 to less than 45 minutes for most orders in 2006.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect (Associate) – Validation No. EQGT2S711JFEQL3H
B.A. in International Relations, Economics and German Studies, May 2007
- Summa Cum Laude, GPA: 3.86, Honors: Dean’s List, Phi Beta Kappa, William Howell Reed Prize in German
- Distinguished Achievement Award in International Relations
- Sigma Iota Rho, International Relations Honor Society, Vice President
- 2005-2006, Study abroad at Eberhard Karls Universität through Tufts in Tübingen
- Teaching Assistant for students of German 1 and German 2.
|German||fluent (level C2 fluency - Common European Reference Framework or CERF)|
|Chinese||fluent (spoken Cantonese)|
PDF Resume generated from julie.io/who/resume
Please excuse any formatting curiosities :)